Here is the standard contract we use for stories and articles. We believe it is simple, straightforward, and author-friendly. Please read it carefully. It details what rights you are granting us when you accept this contract.
Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores
Story and Article Acceptance Contract
1. (a) The Author, (author’s real name) , grants permission for the Publisher, Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores, to include their (new or previously published story or fact-based article) “(title)”, hereinafter referred to as the Work, for publication online in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores in the English language in all countries throughout the world.
(b) The Author further grants the Publisher the right to nonexclusively archive the Work online as long as the Publisher maintains the Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores website.
2. The Author agrees not to permit others to publish the Work for a period of one year after publication in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores without prior written permission of the Publisher.
3. (a) The Author grants to the Publisher the nonexclusive, worldwide English-language right to republish the Work in any book or anthology consisting of material at least 50% of which previously appeared in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores, and which includes works by more than three other contributors.
(b) The Author shall receive a pro-rata share of 50% of the book or anthology’s net receipts from all editions, including hardcover, paperback, audiobook, and foreign language editions. Earnings will be distributed within 30 days of receipt by the Publisher, so long as a minimum of $10.00 is due to Author.
(c) The Author shall receive one free copy of the first edition of the book or anthology.
4. (a) The Author grants to the Publisher the exclusive, worldwide audio right to podcast and/or stream the Work for a period of one year after publication of the Work in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores, and the nonexclusive, worldwide audio right to podcast and/or stream the Work on Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores thereafter.
(b) The Author also grants to the Publisher nonexclusive right to use the audio edition of the Work in an audiobook compilation consisting of material at least 50% of which appeared in Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores magazine, and which includes works by more than three other contributors.
(c) The Publisher will pay for audiobook production, will be the exclusive primary distributor, and will grant 50% royalties from net receipts to be split equally between author (25%) and voice actor(s) (25%). Royalties will be distributed within 30 days of receipt by the Publisher, so long as a minimum of $10.00 is due to the Author.
(d) Except in the case of live-streaming, prior to its publication, the Publisher will provide a copy of any podcast or audio recording to the Author for final approval. Such approval will not be unreasonably or capriciously withheld.
(e) The Author shall receive one free copy of the first edition of the audiobook.
5. For the rights granted to the Publisher in this Agreement, the Author will receive a payment at the rate of (6¢ per word for new work, 2¢ per word for reprints, 2-6¢ for new fact-based work); the Work being _____ words in length, the Publisher shall pay the sum of $_______ to the Author within thirty (30) days of acceptance of this contract.
6. (a) The Author will be credited on any table of contents page and at the beginning of the story as (author’s real name, byline, or pen name)
(b) The Publisher agrees to list a proper copyright notice for the Work in the name of the Author at the end of the Web-published story and, if published in print, on an appropriate copyright page.
(c) The Author grants the Publisher the right to use the Author’s name and biographical material for promotion of the Work. Upon request, the Author shall provide the Publisher with appropriate biographical material.
7. All rights not expressly granted to the Publisher by the Author reside exclusively with the Author.
8. The Author warrants that they are the sole author of the Work; that they are owner of all rights here granted to the Publisher; that the Work is original and any prior publication of the Work in whole or in part has been fully disclosed to the Publisher; that the Work does not violate anyone’s right of privacy; that, to the Author’s knowledge, it is not libelous, and does not infringe upon any copyright or other proprietary or personal right.
9. The Publisher will not publish the Work in altered form without the Author’s written approval in e-mail or hardcopy. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor copy editing changes to conform the text to customary form and usage.
10. If the Publisher fails to publish the Work within 12 months of the date of this Agreement, all rights here granted immediately revert to the Author, and the Author shall retain any payments already made.